Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Brokenhearted Psalmist

David, writer of both Psalms 34 and Psalms 69, has written about his times of having a broken heart. “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” (Psalms 34:18, NASB). “Reproach has broken my heart and I am so sick. And I looked for sympathy, but there was none, and for comforters, but I found none.” (Psalms 69:20, NASB). King David has a lot of grief in his life and he is searching for the way to deal with it.

In Psalms 34, David has found the source of comfort. For some reason in Psalms 69, he forgets who he can put his trust in. Instead of finding comfort in God, the only One we can ever find comfort in, he searches for comfort in these no-name “comforters.” He is upset in Psalms 69 because he can’t find comfort. Thankfully later in the chapter David realizes his error. “But I am afflicted with pain; may Your salvation, O God, set me securely on high.” (Psalms 69:29, NASB).

The important comparison between these two chapters is that David is hurt and in pain. David needs comfort. We all at times need comfort and we need to know where to look for it. We need to be like David and realize that the only true comfort comes from God.

2 comments:

SauceCity said...

Amen to that brother. Although, I think sometime he may possibly facilitate that through a "dios mios", just a thought, lol.

Elizabeth Joy said...

:) yeah... true. I think one of the reason Psalms were included in the Bible was because the entire range of emotions are shown in their pages. David was a man after God's own heart and he still expressed anger, pain, hurt and frustration with God - as well as love, adoration and honor. I love the Psalms.