Sunday, April 15, 2007

Do We Do the Work or Does God?

This is a huge question that must be addressed. To be honest I still don't completely understand what's going on. This question is so hard because the Bible seems to contradict itself. Even the same book of the Bible seems to support both sides. So, do we work in the process of sanctification or is it God that is sanctifying us? I'm going to point out Paul's letter to the Philippians, which holds what seem to be contradictory statements. "For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 1:6, NASB). This supports the fact that God is working in us, perfecting us, until we are with Him again in heaven. In the next chapter Paul confuses us. First he tells us to work, then he tells us that it is God working in us. "So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:12-13, NASB). So, which one is it? Is it us or is it God? Here's what I have come up with.

I think that it is both. We are working, but truly it is God working in us and through us. This may seem confusing (it does to me), but I think that the Bible does support this view. I've been reading through Exodus and I came across the story of Joshua's army fighting against Amalek's army. This is found in Exodus 17:8-16. To summarize, Moses tells Joshua to take some men out to fight Amalek. While Joshua does this Moses, Aaron, and Hur go to the top of the hill overlooking the battlefield. When Moses is holding up his hands, Joshua's army is winning. When Moses lets his hands down, Amalek's army is winning. Moses' arms get tired so Aaron and Hur both support each of Moses' arms (engraving above by Jan Lievens (1607-1674)). Can you see how this supports the theory that both God and us are working? Joshua and his army are down on the battlefield fighting. They are doing the work. Moses, with the support of Aaron and Hur, is holding his hands up to God. They are doing work. The outcome of the battle, however, is caused and determined by God. He is working through Joshua, his army, Moses, Aaron, and Hur. Joshua could have fought as hard as he wanted but couldn't have won if Moses' hands were down. It had nothing to do with Moses' arms, except for the fact that God caused the army to win while they were up and lose while they were down. All of these men learned that the must rely on God.

I think that this must be the way that it works. If it was only us working, then we wouldn't have a need for God. We could do it on our own. We could achieve sanctification without God's intervention. If it was only God working, then we would get really lazy. We would always have the mindset of "God will take care of it, there's no sense in me doing anything." If both God and we are working, then neither of these horrible situations will take place. We are working, but it is truly God working in us and through us.

4 comments:

Elizabeth Joy said...

Did you ever think about becoming a pastor? :) Oh my dear brother how I miss you! Take care and hope to talk again soon.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It's worth noting that Philippians 1:6 is directly applied to the CHURCH at Philippi. So, the primary application is the church at Philippi; the secondary application is to the church in general, and the third (tertiary?) application is to the individual, I think.

That doesn't change anything about your post, I think your conclusions are on-point. I just think that Philippians 1:6 is an easy verse to misappropriate.

I think that Philippians 1:6 is an incredibly encouraging verse. Not because God is so committed to my own sanctification (although he is), but because it demonstrates that God is absolutely committed to the corporate spiritual health of his church and actively works to accomplish that end. It is good to know that God is not just concerned that I know Jesus, but that I know Jesus and am connected to a body of people who are likewise growing in faith, and that he works to sanctify his bride.

Crosby said...

Thanks for the insight on Philippians 1:6 Mike. I really appreciate it. I definitely agree that it is good that we know God wants us to be connected to His bride, the Church.